Sunday, June 25, 2017

Day 164: To Berlin

My bus left at 12:30, so I had an easy time packing up my things and carefully walking through the shade to the station in the afternoon heat. I had intended to look up directions from the destination to my hostel while en route, but the internet on the bus cut out as soon as we crossed the Czech/German border and I had to steal WiFi from a different bus once we arrived at the station. Public transportation is extremely expensive in Berlin, even more so than Seattle. A one-way ticket will cost you 2.8 euros (3.13 USD). It's possible to buy a week pass for 30 euros, which is what I had originally intended to purchase, but the ticket machines are confusing to use (even in English), and the line behind me was so long that I bought a 4-pack of tickets as quickly as I could for 9 euros and got out of the way. The tickets are good for unlimited transfers on any form of public transportation within some reasonable time limit, but that doesn't help much when all you want to do is take the tram 10 stops into the city center.

Once I arrived at Sandino World Improvement Network it was already fairly late in the day, so I paid a visit to a discount grocer and stocked up on groceries for the next few days at least.


There were some friendly people in my dorm, and I went to sleep rather early around 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment