Saturday, June 3, 2017

Day 140: A Few Libraries of Budapest

In the morning I tried my luck at a new cafe, hoping to find a cozy place I could be productive while sipping coffee. The cafe was called My Little Melbourne Coffee and Brew Bar.


The place is cozy enough, but it was at least two or three Celsius warmer inside than the already balmy 25-degree-outdoors, music plays somewhat loudly throughout the cafe, and the WiFi voucher they give you is only good for 45 minutes. After my 45 minutes were up I quickly left for the hostel to make myself lunch.

After lunch I went out with David from the U.K., whom I had met last night, to see a few libraries. We first went to the National Library of Foreign Literature.


The 2-story building (plus mezzanine) has half of its first floor dedicated to "musicology", and so is filled with all kinds of jazz and classical CDs, sheet music, and literature. I picked up a Spanish children's book on the second floor, but couldn't understand most of it. The second floor also has a grandiose reading room. It was great to look at, but it was so deathly silent that it felt like the yellow shirt I was wearing was practically screaming at the few studious souls who were at the desks reading.

There's a digital piano in the corner of the musicology section. My kind of library!
We next visited ELTE Egyetemi Könyvtár, a university library.


It was surprisingly small on the inside. From the lobby you ascend the central staircase into the main reading room. A few auxiliary rooms extend to the side. Although there was perhaps only space for 100 students, the desks were mostly two-seaters, and everyone had their materials strategically spread out so that they wouldn't have to share a space with anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment