Thursday, June 22, 2017

Day 160: Prague Public Piano

After my usual cafe visit in the morning, I decided to hunt down one of Prague's public pianos. I went to the one that seemed to be located in the least touristy area of the city. As a musician, you live your life in perpetual tension: always hoping that someone will listen to you but constantly dreading that anyone will actually overhear you.


The piano there was in fine shape. After 20 minutes a buxom Czech lady came up to me and started talking to me in Czech. I didn't understand a thing she said, except "black people music", which I assumed meant jazz. After not too long she expressed a desire to scat sing while I accompanied her. Initially, I took her to be a friendly, outgoing local. But after 20 more minutes of duet, my impression was that she was a bit off her rocker -- not clinically diagnoseably so, but more like she had an eccentric cat lady type personality. When someone else came up to us and asked to play the piano I took the opportunity to say good riddance and walk back to the hostel.

A bizarre television tower built 30 years ago during the communist era
I spent the rest of the day relaxing, and nothing more of interest happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment