Friday, March 17, 2017

Days 67-68: To Melbourne (and a PSA for all people who own bags with wheels!)

My flight left at 1:30 in the afternoon. The first leg of my journey took me to Kuala Lumpur for an overnight stopover and the second leg to Melbourne at 10:30 the next day. Some genius had the idea of opening a hostel (Moon Eleven Hostel) one train stop away from KLIA (which is otherwise an hour by train from the city) and saved me quite a lot of commuting time and a bit of cash, too.



While boarding my DPS to KUL flight someone with a roller bag suddenly stopped in front of me, causing me to blunt my injured toe on their bag. At first I blamed myself for not paying attention, until it happened AGAIN on my KUL to MIL flight, and later when deboarding the MIL to Southern Cross Station express bus, after someone thought it was a fantastic idea to roll their suitcase off the bus directly from the luggage rack, running my toe over in the process. Is it really that difficult to carry your bag in cramped quarters, people?!

Besides giving my toe PTSD whenever I see a bag with wheels, my flights went smoothly; and after the seven-hour flight from KL to Melbourne, an express bus to Southern Cross Station, and a taxi ride (after failing to find a place with a working MYKI card machine -- Melbourne's public transport pass), I made it to The Nunnery Accommodation in Melbourne's hip Fitzroy neighborhood shortly before midnight.



Apparently, they celebrate St. Patrick's Day much the same way in Australia as they do in America. Some using it as an excuse to dress up and/or go drink, and most completely ignoring its quizzical existence. The Nunnery has an interesting mix of guests. Some, like the hostel I stayed at in Singapore, have guests living there long-term while they look for jobs and/or housing. Others book a single night just to have a place central to the bars to crash at after a night of partying. And, of course, there's a few fellow travelers spending a week or more in Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment