Sunday, March 26, 2017

Day 77: Sydney Opera House and Hyde Park

After being awoken by a bunch of punk ass kids at 10:40 in the bright and early morning, I washed up and picked up breakfast on my way out of Darlinghurst. I knew the Sydney Opera House was north of the hostel, and I wouldn't get too far before hitting Sydney Harbour. And so I started walking.


I got stuck by Pott's Point and walked west along the waterfront before stumbling into the Royal Botanic Gardens.

A residential street, Sydney
At some point a path spit me back out onto the waterfront and there she was.

(Click to enlarge)
Walking along the pathway leads you to the base of the opera house. I'd always imagined it was bigger.

From the opera house I began walking south along Macquarie St. until I ran into a large parade being held for Greek Day. I followed the parade back down to the opera house before turning around again in search of a cafe to rest and recharge my gadgets. What I found instead was the State Library of New South Wales. The social scene on its front lawns was nonexistent (unlike State Library of Victoria), but inside looks like an excellent place for reading or studying.

Ground floor
Reading room
When the library closed at 5 I continued walking south and passed through Hyde Park.


There's a number of WWI monuments there, along with fountains, buskers, a cathedral, and plenty of opportunities for people watching.

The entrance, looking south
St. Mary's Cathedral

From Hyde Park I walked southwest, ordered a kebab that was really just a mix of ingredients wrapped in a tortilla, then found a breezy cafe to sit and enjoy a milkshake in before heading back to the hostel for the night.

Mmm, yeah

No comments:

Post a Comment