Monday, March 27, 2017

Day 78: Bondi Beach

To get to Bondi Beach from King's Cross it's fastest to take the metro to Bondi Junction then hop on a bus to the beach. I'd been adamant up to that point in not buying a permanent OPAL card because of my short time in Sydney, but it wasn't possible to buy a single use ticket for the bus, so I was forced to buy an OPAL card from a convenience store within the station. The card itself turned out to be free, unlike the 6 AUD necessary to buy a MYKI card back in Melbourne, so my adamancy was for nothing after all.


The beach looks exactly like the photos you see in the brochures.


Seeing as I visited on a Monday, it probably looks like this every day the sun shines. There's a promenade that circumscribes the beach that I walked along. At the north end of the beach you can walk down onto the sun dried sea rocks during low tide. There are some tide pools there and a 235 ton boulder (commemorated with an inscribed plate) that was washed up onto the rocks by a storm just over 100 years ago. The day was 26 degrees and breezy, and the sun and walking by myself made me hot, tired, and bored. I had lunch at an open-air restaurant before taking a bus directly into the city and deboarding at the state library. I left an hour or two later in search of food on my way back to the hostel.

St. Mary's Cathedral during the blue hour walk back to Darlinghurst

No comments:

Post a Comment