Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Day 72: Melbourne Museum

My leg having by now healed to the point where I could walk up stairs using both legs and even fake a normal gait if I fancied, I decided to cross the street and explore Melbourne Museum.


I bought a museum entry + IMAX movie voucher combo, but only had time to see the museum exhibits. The museum has really excellent natural science galleries on the ground floor which cover time periods from 600mya to present day. A few interesting things I learned: only about 50mya, whales evolved from this (possibly) semi-aquatic animal. And about 30mya this awkward thing roamed the earth, an awkwardness that intensifies when you realize that it was nearly 10 times as massive as a modern-day rhinoceros.

The second floor galleries feature art, design, and cultural exhibits which were also quite interesting. Although I spent over 5 hours exploring exhibits, I didn't have enough time before the museum closed for the day to see all there was on offer, or even to see everything on display in any single exhibit. I may go back at some point (an entry ticket is only 14 AUD). My movie voucher is good the entire time I have planned for Melbourne and I'll probably take advantage of it one of these rainy evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment