Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Day 70: Cafes and Gardens

My leg has the double effect of causing me to walk slower, but also to tire more quickly from my awkward peg leg gait. So I decided to take most of today from a sitting position, first at a cafe in Fitzroy and then at the state library. Just before I left the cafe, a contingency of nude bikers rode up the street towards downtown. Around 5:30 in the evening I decided to catch a tram from the library to the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne.


The day had been sweltering -- not dipping below 34 degrees Celsius for most of the day -- and by the time I left the library it was not much cooler. From the tram stop there is a path that leads to the Shrine of Remembrance, a memorial for those Aussies that served in WWI.


To the right lies the botanical gardens, which were nice to walk through in the evening, but I tired quickly and found a bench to enjoy the view from a more comfortable sitting position.

A popular rendezvous spot for couples
After catching the tram back to Melbourne CBD I grabbed dinner at a Korean place near Chinatown (where I tried ginger beer, a non-alcoholic drink popular in temperance bars) and afterwards took a moment to enjoy the Sunday evening buskers before catching the tram back to the hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment