Sunday, April 16, 2017

Day 98: A Bit of Akasaka Palace, a Bit of Shinbashi

Today was an unseasonably warm day, and after a lot of indecision about what to do on a Sunday, a day tourist activities were most likely to be crowded, I decided to go explore what looked like a series of large parks that were a bit out of the way of the usual touristy places in Tokyo.


It turns out the "large park" above is actually an entire palace complex and was completely closed off to the public by the time I arrived. I was still able to walk counterclockwise around the grounds. Just past the northern tip is a nice walking path that passes by Sophia University.


West of the university you can see Togu Palace, but it too was gated off.

Peeping through the gates
The northwestern tip turns into a large baseball complex and from there I walked back to the metro and took a train to the Shinbasi area -- partly for dinner, partly to see a different part of town.



Adjacent to Ginza, Shinbashi is flush with luxury shopping and dining, though not to the extent I imagine Ginza is.

A raised terrace in the Shinbashi area, by the Ghibli clock
I had a filling meal of spicy pork at a nice (but not too nice) looking restaurant. One of the items that comes with the meal is a soup that makes the roof of your mouth go numb. I wasn't sure how I felt about losing bodily sensation while eating, so I mostly left the soup alone.

Afterwards I felt like the perfect way to top the night off was with tea, pastries, and puzzle solving at whichever cafe I stumbled upon first (Starbucks, predictably). I actually had to wake up before 10 the next day to check out, so I left for the capsule hotel around 9:30.

A glimpse of Ginza before catching the metro back to the hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment