Saturday, April 15, 2017

Day 97: The Great Otamatone Search Cont.

Since I had been so successful finding a Nikoli puzzle book yesterday, I decided to try my luck at finding an Otamotone within one of Japan's sprawling technology stores. After being tipped off by a year-old Reddit thread, I first looked in Yodobashi Multimedia Akiba, a massive 9-story venue dedicated to all types of electronics.


Toys were all stuffed onto the 6th floor, and after roaming the aisles for 30 minutes I finally managed to track down a not-extremely-busy-looking store attendant to ask where they kept the Otamatones. He pointed me to an aisle, but mentioned they might be sold out. I still couldn't find any, and so I gave up on Yodobashi.

The second store I tried was BIC Camera Yurakucho, which is basically the exact same thing as Yodobashi, just 3 km south.


It was easier finding a non-stressed store attendant this time, but I was told that they were also sold out. It was then I realized that I might be arriving in Japan a year too late to have any chance of finding Otamatone stocked on store shelves. Thoroughly defeated, I went back to the capsule hotel for the night.

But now that I have an internet connection again, it seems that instead of lacking the popularity to be stocked on store shelves, as I had thought after visiting BIC Camera, they may be too popular to be kept in stock for long. A video released only 5 months ago demonstrates a new variety of Otamatone that was just released (Otamatone Techno). I find it hard to believe that they would expend the effort to design a new Otamatone a year after the original was revealed only to run out of the demand to sell them in stores five months later! And so my hunt for the Otamatone continues...

I end this post with my favorite of all Otamatone videos, a stupidly beautiful rendering of Schubert's Ave Maria.

1 comment:

  1. Heya Phil, i'm also currently looking for the Otamatone, do you still remember which isle does the staff point you at? Is it the toys isle?

    ReplyDelete