Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Day 87: To Osaka

After packing up my things and being seated with a random Chinese girl at a busy restaurant just outside the hostel, I walked underneath the streets to East Tsim Sha Tsui Station. Getting back to HKG was a long but straightforward exercise in MTR transfers. The airport has over 500 gates (I was gate 271) so the journey had only just begun once I stepped off the Airport Express Line.

Leaving Hong Kong

Nearing Osaka, three hours later
Peach Airlines flew us into a tiny satellite terminal of Kansai International Airport, comparable in size to the airport in my 200,000 person hometown. A free shuttle bus takes you 10 minutes away to the main terminal where I stocked up on Yen, a new metro card for the Kansai region, and a sandwich with coffee. Most people I interacted with (the lady manning the tourist information booth excepted) assumed I spoke Japanese. It's only when I switch the conversation to English did they figure out I'm no weeaboo! (Except for the lady that sold me the sandwich; I think I fooled her because she continued to spew Japanese at me after I pointed at the sandwich I wanted).

From the Kansai Airport Rapid Service train I alighted at Tennoji Station and followed the streets on my offline map until I found the well hidden Peace House Showa.


After moving into my room, I tagged along with a group of other guests in search of food and drinks. We ended up walking unnecessarily far for a decent restaurant to sit down at. When the others finally settled on a bar, I crossed the street to where there was a quaint, tiny Japanese sit-down restaurant and ordered a few appetizers (everything they served there was appetizer sized and priced) and a drink. I joined my new friends afterwards to top off the night with a delicious glass of umeshu on the rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment