Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Day 85: A Symphony of Lights and PLAY Club

The girl from northern India that I had met yesterday said she was planning on going to the library to gather her Hong Kong bearings. I felt like I needed to restore a bit more work to the work/travel balance I'd been trying to strike on my travels thus far, so we agreed to go together the next morning. I woke up a bit earlier than I had planned, so I washed up and waited for her in the common area (she was in the next door dorm). After an hour I peeked into the other dorm. The room was empty, except for one bed which had a vaguely human shaped lump silhouetted in its drawn curtains. After another hour I did a double take on the mysterious lump and, seeing that it had not moved since I last checked, decided that I was either waiting for the world's sleepiest human or an inanimate object. Grabbing my backpack, I sprinted off to the library for food and a cozy space to work.

As I was punching in the door code after returning that night, I ran into the same girl I had been waiting for! She said she had slept poorly the night before and thought she could squeeze in Victoria Peak with some other travelers and be back in time before I awoke. She almost made it too, since she said she saw me rushing in the opposite direction through Tsim Sha Tsui station as she was coming back. We laughed it off and she, myself, and two other Americans went to go see "A Symphony of Lights" -- a unique light show where lasers attached to buildings in the CBD fire off in sync to music. We must have picked a poor observation point, because the show was obscured by a building and large ship and there was no music except for the ambiance of a Hong Kong night. From the lackluster light show, we went to a bar near our hostel for food and drinks. Although it was Monday, the next day was a holiday so some of us decided to go clubbing. We took an Uber to Central to dance at PLAY Club.


The club has no cover and is dangerously close to other bars and a few 7-11s, so instead of paying club prices for drinks we bought a bottle of Korean liquor to share among us. There was close to a 50/50 mix of other travelers/expats and Hong Kongers at the club. We were there until the club closed at 4 in the morning and took a cab back to the hostel. Splitting transportation 5 ways and buying cheap liquor and beer at 7-11 made for a very affordable night out (I ended up spending less than 10 USD). It was a lot of fun acting my age for a night 😜

No comments:

Post a Comment