Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Days 22-24: Last Days in Ao Tha Bay

After earning myself a sunburn above my knees from Day 28's motor scooter riding, I spent most of the next few days in the shade, with some exceptions. Day 29 (Sunday) I went to the Krabi Weekend Night Market in the evening. It was like the typical Thai night market where you can stuff your face with delicious foods for less than $5, but with some singing and entertainment too. There were a group of children playing (what sounded like) traditional Thai music with the most bored expressions on their face. Except for the lead melody, they seemed to be hitting notes at random, though it didn't sound bad. I found it all extremely amusing.


Day 30 was truly a rest day. You might even call it a serious case of the Mondays, despite myself not knowing what day of the week it was. I made some more progress on my classes, read, and generally lounged around.

Day 31 I decided to rent a motor scooter and visit Than Bok Khorani National Park.


It's nearly 40 km one-way. I took some back roads (mainly Road 4011) on the way there and Highway 4 on the way back. On the way there I accidentally turned down a dead end residential road. Upon reaching the end, two Thai children came running towards me waving their hands and shouting hello. The look on their faces was as if Christmas (or Thai equivalent) had come early. When I turned around and left them 20 seconds later after getting my bearings they looked as if I had just lit all their presents on fire. It was quite a roller coaster of a friendship while it lasted.

Than Bok Khorani is a nice park with a 10-minute circumference walking path that constantly has to bridge itself over the park's small yet numerous waterfalls. The best way to sum it up is it's probably worth the $8.57 I paid to get in, but it's probably not worth the 300฿ I paid to get in. Though the park itself covers over 100 km2, only the top 5% comes with your ticket.






Around sunset I took the motor scooter out for one last joy ride to Road 1003 and back. The area I stayed in, Ao Tha Bay, is exceedingly beautiful at this hour. Everywhere you look is like the OS X Yosemite default background picture. I had a hard time capturing everything in one photo, but I tried.

On the way back to return the scooter, as the sun dips below the horizon
This was my last night in Bananas Bungalows. Tomorrow morning I would catch a bus into Krabi Town where I had booked a hostel for the two remaining days before my flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment