Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Day 17: Bananas Bungalows

I successfully boarded the ferry back to Krabi the next morning. Upon arrival, myself and the other passengers were inundated by an onslaught of taxi drivers eager to give us rides for a "fair price". Nobody wanted to use the meter (I insisted) so I asked a tuk tuk driver to take me to the center of the town for 100 baht where I thought it more likely I would find a taxi driver willing to use a meter. (I would later find out that no one outside of Bangkok uses the meter in Thailand, at least not with foreigners). While waiting in the back of the tuk tuk for the driver, I downloaded "Grab Taxi", an app I heard is popular for requesting rides. Using the app I was able to request a driver with the price estimate included. As I hopped out of the tuk tuk the driver asked me where I was going. I told him I was going to Bananas Bungalow for 600 baht (I had previously been quoted 1200 baht). He told me: "I do it same price."

I think I found my new favorite haggling method.


Once again, I found myself arriving at my accommodation in a torrential downpour. When it cleared up I was finally able to fully appreciate the beauty of the location.

Looking back towards the bungalows from the dock
There are many animals here: small dogs, a large cage filled with birds and guinea pigs, a cat with wild hair, even a 3 or 4 week old puppy. I met some friends at the communal dinner that night and we went to see the bio-luminescent plankton that frequent the waters at the base of the dock.

No comments:

Post a Comment