Saturday, January 28, 2017

Day 21: Ao Nang Beach, Krabi Town, and Motor Scooters!

Today was one of those really great travel days (they're all pretty good, but this one especially). I rented a motor scooter and drove it all over Krabi. I was initially worried about learning how to drive, this being my first time driving a motor scooter, but quickly realized how easy and familiar the action is. To my hands, it feels like a cross between a bicycle and a snowmobile. I had my tank filled at a local mart with gasoline from a 1.5 liter water bottle.

My first destination was Ao Nang Beach, the most popular beach in the Krabi area (as voted on by tourists).


On the way there I witnessed someone else on a motor scooter hit a monkey trying to cross the road (I think the monkey was only dazed for a moment).

This is actually Nopparat Thara Beach, connected to the more well-known Ao Nang Beach
Lying on the west side of the beach was an extremely busty woman lying front side up tanning topless. That's when I knew I wasn't in America anymore.

Curvaceous woman not pictured for obvious reasons
From the beach I drove east along the coast, cutting through the Ao Nang downtown area along road 4203, connecting to 4204, and finally east again on 4034 (see above map). On the way to Krabi Town I found a bizarre, nearly deserted tourist attraction.

Placed next to a cooking school, this structure is non-existent on Google Maps
There was a sign near the base of the stairs that said "Climb the heavy step". So I did.

At the top are four wax monks doomed to eternal meditation
Once in Krabi Town I visited the park and walked through the nearby shopping area where they were busy setting up for the weekend market.

Thara Park in Krabi Town

Using a small child as a diversion, we defended Krabi from this giant crab with our phone lasers
The ride back to Bananas Bungalows near sunset was beautiful, but I found riding a motor scooter down the highway as the day begins to cool is a quick way to become a human windshield.

Overall, I found motor scooter a fantastic way to explore the area. It's hard to beat the feeling of riding down the road, catching glimpses of everyday Thai life while a woman in a hijab races ahead of you and beautiful scenery surrounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment