Monday, January 9, 2017

Day 3: Siam Center

My first weekday in Bangkok. I walked and took a tuk tuk to Krung Thonburi station just in time for rush hour. Two or three trains packed like this one came by before I was able to get on.


The trains into Downtown come every few minutes during rush hour.


My goal: buy new shoes at MBK Center, which Aaron (hostel owner) tells me is my best chance of finding size 11 shoes in Thailand.


What I didn't realize was that the shopping center doesn't open until 10. To kill time, I treated myself to a meal at one of the upscale, American luxury restaurants in the area. But with American luxury comes American prices.

I paid 5 pad thais (164฿) for this double Egg McMuffin. At least it came with a complimentary coffee and hashbrown (not pictured) 
This man knows how to dress for the occasion
After MBK Center opened I had a somewhat difficult time finding shoes that I both liked, fit me, and I didn't have to pay American prices for. Eventually I found these lovely slip-ons that fit both my feet and my budget.

Rocking the latest in 500฿ ($14) Asian shoe fashion
The rest of the day was spent exploring the nearby shopping centers in Siam Center. The Siam shops are more upscale than MBK. The amount of luxury items they have there is truly awe-inspiring. To give you an idea, they have a Lamborghini showroom, but it's not on the top floor. I celebrated the occasion with some more luxury American food, Krispy-Kreme donuts.


For dinner Aaron's mother-in-law came over and brought a dinner of fried tilapia and black rice with her, which she shared with Aaron, myself, and another dormie, Denis from Siberia. I tried the fish eyeball and brain. Both are very sweet, and the eyeball dissolves in your mouth. The meal was devoured so quickly I wasn't able to get any photos of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment