Sunday, May 14, 2017

Days 120-121: In Timișoara

Timișoara is a quaint town with a population of appx. 300,000 persons. It has a number of pleasant squares, parks, and innumerous cafes. The Bega River flows around the city center.

My first full day in Timisoara gave me plenty of time to grab PBJ sandwich materials from the open air market near the hostel and to see all of the city center by foot. They were setting up for a concert in Timișoara's Piata Unirii.


Piața Unirii
Roman Catholic Cathedral of Saint George
My favorite part of town is the "rectangle" (as opposed to a square) that contains Catedrala Mitropolitana at one end and the town's opera house on the other.


I spent the afternoon at a cafe there on my first day.


On my second day I hunted down a really cool cafe/coworking space called Ambasada, located on the opposite side of town from my hostel.


The coffee and tea there is surprisingly cheap for the environment the cafe provides (on par with what you would expect from any cafe located outside the city center). They have big windows that look out onto a garden, big tables, plenty of seating, wi-fi, electrical outlets... everything you need to get some work done! They didn't even seem to mind me snacking on all the food I had brought with me from the supermarket. There was one guy that was testing his autonomous robot that looked like either a box on wheels or a minimalist space rover by letting it roam between the tables. A super cool environment that I had not at all expected to find in a town like Timișoara.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Phil for your shoutout to Mom in the the youth group video at the church service today. I may have squeezed out a tear or two. Very special.

    ReplyDelete