Friday, May 19, 2017

Day 127: Zemun and a Film for Foreigners

I took a bus from the old town area of Belgrade to Zemun.


Zemun has distinction among the districts of Belgrade for being, at various points in history, under Austrian-Hungarian, German, and finally Serbian ownership. The only part of Zemun of interest to tourists is the easternmost area, just west of Great War Island. I had heard that Zemun is a must-see if you spend more than a few days in Belgrade, but I wasn't particularly impressed. The area is pleasant, but to me its old town area looked like a smaller, less spirited version of Belgrade's old town. It is noticeably more suburban than Belgrade proper. Being only a 15-minute bus ride from the center of Belgrade, it's nice to have such easy access to a quieter part of town.

Looking towards Belgrade
Feeding of albino geese
After going back to the hostel I helped with preparations for the hostel's 4th birthday party. I went with a friend to a "film for foreigners" viewing at a bar. The film's English title is Next to Me and was subtitled in English. The film focuses mostly on the narrative drama that ensues after a classroom of students is locked in the school overnight by their teacher. The film originated from an acting exercise designed for students of a local film school. I was a bit shocked after the credits rolled and the film's director and one of the main protagonists got up on stage for a post-film Q&A.


The film was rather controversial for its homosexual thematic elements, including a scene where two men kiss. I'm not sure I've ever given much thought to how not only the US, but many other countries are struggling with accepting homosexuality as normal behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment