Friday, May 19, 2017

Day 126: Belgrade Cultural Center?

In the evening I went to the Belgrade Cultural Center to see some sort of strings performance.


At least that's where I thought I went. On the outside of the 7 or 8-story building is large text that very clearly says "Cultural Centre of Belgrad". There's no obvious ground floor entrance, but when I entered the ground floor through a bookstore and went upstairs there was a gallery and a side room containing chairs, a grand piano, and a few audience members -- so I took a seat.


The first hour-long recital was given by a kid that looked to be in his early teens. He was good for his age, but not a great pianist overall. The next hour-long recital was by an older man in his late 20s, early 30s. "Here must be the main act," I thought. 

Halfway through the man's recital, it was clear that his skill level was even lower than the semi-prodigy before him. I had to listen to Philip Glass's entire Metamorphosis suite and some other equally mild minimalist contemporary pieces before the recital concluded at 10pm.

Looking back now, I may have been in a completely different venue within the same building as the cultural center. I just happened to stumble upon a classical music performance in this separate venue. It was nice to hear a live piano performance, though. I really miss playing the instrument.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment