Friday, May 26, 2017

Day 133: To Ohrid

I would have had a really difficult time finding things to do for two full days in Skopje before my flight left on the third day for Budapest, so in the morning I took a shuttle bus three hours south to Ohrid.


Ohrid sits on the shores of Lake Ohrid, a UNESO World Heritage Site since 1979. There's a self-guided walking tour that one can do of the city. It begins by ascending an ungodly amount of stairs.


After walking through the "Upper Gate" (Tzar Samoil's Fortress sits atop the hill), you first see the Ancient Theatre.


From the Ancient Theatre you climb up an even steeper grade to Tzar Samoil's Fortress. The entry fee is 60 MKD. It is easily worth the climb and the small fee, as the views are amazing.




From Tzar Samoil's Fortress you descend past Plaosnik, the under renovation, first ever Slavic university in the world (originally constructed in 893 C.E.) to the Church of St. John the Theologian, right above the waters of Lake Ohrid.



From there you move east along the shoreline into Kaneo Settlement. There's a few cafe bars there and I stopped at one to have a glass of wine and enjoy the views.

I wasn't the only one there enjoying the sun and water
Continuing along the streets near the water, you end up in the town square. There's a pedestrian street with shops, cafes and pubs galore. My hostel was a 5 minute walk from there.

The only swan I saw while I was there. What is that coming out of its backside???

No comments:

Post a Comment