Thursday, May 25, 2017

Day 130: Last Night in Belgrade

I had expected my final night in Belgrade to be spent relaxing and resting at the hostel for my 11am bus to Skopje the next day. That all changed when someone casually asked if I wanted to join their group going out that night. Our first stop was at a jazz bar in an old, 19th century mansion with larger than life murals painted all over the walls. Cover was 200 dinar, unusual for a bar, but dirt cheap for just about any other jazz bar in the world.


After a few beers, we walked to the bar/parking lot area near the hostel, we got there just before one in the morning, which, surprisingly, was when all the bars in that area were closing for the night. At that point I was about to retire for the night, but somebody said something and convinced me to go with the group to a club called The Drug Store in the industrial district.


The Drug Store is situated on the second floor of a building that used to be a slaughterhouse. When we got there I was shocked to find the cover was 800 dinar, but having already spent 20 minutes walking there I wasn't about to return to the hostel so soon. The club itself is dark so everyone can appreciate the laser show going on behind the stage. The DJ that night was playing their own flavor of house music incredibly loudly. There is a lot of floor area, and when we first arrived it seemed a bit sparse on people, but by the time I left an hour later it had maybe doubled in population. It's a rare club that I have a good time at. This was not one of them.

The walk back to the hostel was tedious, but easy -- and I crashed back onto my bed around 3am.

No comments:

Post a Comment