Friday, August 3, 2018

Day 5: Chapultepec Castle

In the afternoon I set off by myself on the metro to Bosque de Chapultepec, one of the largest city parks in the western hemisphere and certainly the largest in Mexico City.


My tentative plan was to first visit Chapultepec Castle then the National Museum of Anthropology as well as see what the park itself has to offer. The vegetation and meandering paths of the park are a welcome respite from the city and the temperature was noticeably cooler. A sloping path brings you to Chapultepec Castle.




The combination of the breeze and views of the city from the top puts you in a contemplative mood. Wandering the castle grounds you stumble upon surprisingly bold artwork and warmly quaint architecture.


The ceiling mural of the previous photo
After seeing the castle I decided to skip the National Museum of Anthropology because rain was in the near forecast and I really wasn't that interested in looking at artifacts of Mesoamerican culture.

Back at the hostel, I met my Australian bunkmate and joined her and her two British friends out for dinner. The three of them were good company and a good time was had by all (Except for maybe Ashley, the Australian, after we accused her of not being able to read 😂). Upon returning to the hostel I ran into another American whom I had met that morning. He had liked the hostel we were currently staying at so much that he canceled the AirBnb that he had booked for the next week and with the money he saved from the cancellation attended a 4-hour tasting room at one of the best restaurants in Mexico City and the world, Pujol. What an experience to hear about!

He, myself, and a Dutch/Lebanese girl that was soon to be starting her masters at a university here in Mexico City chatted in the common room late into the night until retiring ourselves to the dorms.

No comments:

Post a Comment