Friday, February 3, 2017

Day 27: Kuala Lumpur

I was lucky enough to find a motorcycle taxi that would take me to the airport at 06:00 for only 200 baht (I tried finding a songthaew to the airport that supposedly existed according to WikiTravel, but the streets were nearly empty as I walked to 7-11 for a breakfast). After landing in KLIA2, my streak of arriving at hostels in rainstorms was finally broken. The 11 MYR bus ride to Step Inn Too Hostel was sunny and offered plenty to see out the window.


Nearly all the hostels in KL are located near KL Sentral (including my own), so there is plenty to do within walking distance. I walked to Jalan Sultan Ismail and explored the Pavilion Shopping Center.



As soon as I arrived I witnessed an exemplary display of Malaysian diversity... a German suitcase store celebrating the Chinese New Year? 


Back home I wouldn't even think of visiting a shopping center if I found myself in a new city, but it's one of my favorite things to do when visiting a new large city in Asia.

Pavilion Shopping Center in Kuala Lumpur
From there I walked to the iconic Petronas Towers. I thought they would be taller.

Park much more crowded than it looks here
Malaysian shopping malls have perfected the art of the long-distance AC blast (a popular customer attractant in South East Asian stores) and a particularly cool draft sniped me as I walked back around the Petronas towers. Ten minutes later I walked out with a concert ticket to see the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra play a suite of Italian pieces tomorrow night. So I guess you could say I'm taking advantage of my time back in the city 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment