Saturday, July 1, 2017

Day 171: Central Park

In the morning I took the E line to a few blocks south of Central Park.


 I walked all the way from the south end at 57th St. to the north end at 110th St.

Central Park has at least a dozen baseball fields of this size

Fellow tourists in Sheep Meadow

Perfect place to relax in the shade, Sheep Meadow

Beethoven and I meet again

A family by "The Lake". There's a beautiful fountain directly behind me, but photos don't do it justice.

Rowers in The Lake

The massive Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir. Popular with joggers.

Residential units with a view of "The Pool"
Central Park has these beautiful sedimentary rocks that are sometimes exposed at the surface. They shine in the sunlight from the silvery specks that spot their surfaces. Apparently it's this same kind of rock that makes the ultra tall skyscrapers of Manhattan possible, without which they would lack sufficient structural integrity. 

After ascending and descending Great Hill at the top left corner of the park, I took the metro back to Midtown. I had passed by Carnegie Hall on my way to the park, and stopped there once again to see if I could snatch some cheap tickets while I was here. I bought $30 tickets for "An Eclectic Exploration" piano recital, to be held in the Weiss Recital Hall tomorrow night.

I returned to the hostel and was so tired from walking and jet lag that I didn't find the energy to go back out again until a newly met friend from New Zealand took me out around 10pm to get drinks at a nearby bar, The Beast Next Door.


It was a good time, but paying 7 USD for a beer was a bit of a painful experience. I went to bed shortly afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment