Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Day 1: In Search of Paseo de la Reforma

Being Sunday, I had heard that on this weekday one of Mexico City's largest streets, Paseo de la Reforma is shut down to car traffic and is a popular place for pedestrians and cyclists. I wanted to rent a bike to ride down the avenue, so after consulting with the front desk, I set out upon the city.

Near the Catedral Metropolitana de la Ciudad de México, I rode a large tandem bike with about 8 other people.


It was free, and part of some government sponsored program to encourage bike use and education.


The sidewalks were very crowded with vendors and pedestrians and it was slow going until I stopped at the nearby Tacos y Amor for a torta and drink.


I kept moving with the flow of the crowd until I realized that I had gone in the complete opposite direction of Paseo de la Reforma. Tired and sun kissed at this point, I picked up some crema de sol at the pharmacy before refilling my water bottle at the hostel and heading out in the correct direction.

I arrived in the area around Palacio de Bellas Artes and Alemada Central.



Within Alemada Central there were teens riding skateboards and preteens battling Beyblades. There were many things to see and do in the environs of the park.


From Alemada Central it was only a short walk to Paseo de la Reforma, but when I arrived it was full of cars! I would find out later that they only shut down the street until 2 PM, so I would try again next Sunday before my flight.

Hot, tired, and having seen too much sun, I went into the nearby Cinemex and bought a ticket for a Mexican rom-com, Más Sabe el Diablo por Viejo.

After the movie and arriving back at my hostel, I took an Uber to El Ocho, a board game cafe in Hipódromo, to meet up with some American friends I had made the day before.


We had a fun time playing pictionary and my own variant of Uno, Kim Jong Uno, over drinks. We headed back to Casa Pepe around 11 via the metro.

No comments:

Post a Comment